My Blog List

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Pumpkin and Coconut Curried Black Beans and Rice

It's that time of year again! And I don't have morning sickness this year making it impossible for me to even look at pumpkin without feeling sick. So more pumpkin recipes to try out!

This one was really different from my normal pumpkin recipes I try out, but it was really good! I was nervous the kids wouldn't like it, but they even asked for seconds! Anthony said "It was actually alright" which is a pretty high rating from someone who hates pumpkin.

I skipped the cilantro because I didn't have it on hand, but I bet it would have been an interesting garnish!

And no pictures, because...I just forgot to take any.

Pumpkin and Coconut Curried Black Beans and Rice
Ingredients
  • 1 green pepper, chopped (Optional. I've done it both ways, and either way is great.)
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb. black beans, rinsed
  • 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
  • 4 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 3 cups water or 6 cups if you don't have stock
  • Cilantro
  • Plain yogurt
Instructions
  1. Saute green pepper and onion for 5 minutes.
  2. Add garlic and saute for another minute.
  3. Add sauteed vegetables and all other ingredients except cilantro and yogurt to slow-cooker
  4. Set the slow-cooker on high and let it go about 8 hours.
  5. Check water level from time to time, adding more if necessary to prevent burning.
  6. Garnish with cilantro and a dollop of plain yogurt.


    Original recipe found here

No comments:

Post a Comment