This one was really different from my normal pumpkin recipes I try out, but it was really good! I was nervous the kids wouldn't like it, but they even asked for seconds! Anthony said "It was actually alright" which is a pretty high rating from someone who hates pumpkin.
I skipped the cilantro because I didn't have it on hand, but I bet it would have been an interesting garnish!
And no pictures, because...I just forgot to take any.
Pumpkin and Coconut Curried Black Beans and Rice
- 1 green pepper, chopped (Optional. I've done it both ways, and either way is great.)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. black beans, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water or 6 cups if you don't have stock
- Plain yogurt
- Saute green pepper and onion for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add sauteed vegetables and all other ingredients except cilantro and yogurt to slow-cooker
- Set the slow-cooker on high and let it go about 8 hours.
- Check water level from time to time, adding more if necessary to prevent burning.
- Garnish with cilantro and a dollop of plain yogurt.
Original recipe found here