My Blog List

Thursday, October 31, 2013

To the moms of 2 kids


I was stopped again today, three times in fact during our short trip to Target, and asked by moms with 1 or 2 children how on earth I do it. Sometimes that's all they say, sometimes they share that they always wanted a big family, but dealing with 2 young children has worn them so thin that they have no idea how they would ever survive having more than that.

I'll tell you what I always tell them, it gets better.

Having 2 under 2 was hands down the hardest point in my life thus far, I know we have some crazy times to come (3 in high school or 3 in college at the same time? eek!), but that was ROUGH. Hard on me physically, and mentally. hard on our marriage, all around hard.

Don't get me wrong, we had our awesome fun days too, it wasn't bad, it was just so. hard.

I was pretty much in survival mode for a solid year.
It was crazy, but they were SO cute


So when we were expecting #3, I was just a little bit nervous. We had a 3 year old and a 2 year old and were finally feeling like we had this parenting thing down, I couldn't imagine going through the craziness of having a new baby again. But then you know what happened? 

Pretty much nothing.

The boys who had gotten used to playing with each other, kept on playing with each other. I had way more time to focus on the baby, because the older 2 had a built in playmate. They were used to sharing their space and waiting a few minutes before I could get to them, so a new baby was no big deal. No jealously, or regression, life just kept on going the way it always had.

And then I had #4 and again...

Nothing.

Now obviously more kids just adds a little more planning and time. It takes longer to make 3 lunches than it did to make 1. Getting 4 into boots, coats, hats, mittens and into the car and buckled into car seats feels like running a marathon some days. The logistics are different, but once you have a plan, there just really isn't much you can't do with 4 that you could do with 1 or 2.

Now with 4, my older 2 can sit and sing to the baby while I take a shower, or make some dinner. They can carry out the diaper bag for me, or help bring in all of the groceries. Life is just so much easier.

So I know when you see me at the store with a full double stroller, a baby strapped to my chest and a 5 year old walking holding onto the side it just looks crazy. Or that I must have weird super well behaved children (I don't, they're awesome, but they're normal). I know you have to laugh when I say my life is easier now than it was 4 or 5 years ago, but I promise you, I am not joking.

It gets so much better.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks! It is always nice to hear things like that, especially as our own family continues to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right?! I'm about to have number 7 and my life with a 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, and 11 year old is SO MUCH EASIER than it was when I had 2 and 3 all littles.

    ReplyDelete