My Blog List

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Glasses

Or as Elise says "flasses"

As I'm sure 99.9% of the people reading this saw on facebook, Elise got glasses!


She LOVES them.

It took about 2.5 weeks from the time we found out she would need them until they came in, so I started researching. I read a lot about tricks to keeping glasses on kids, how to take breaks from wearing glasses because of eye strain, how you should maybe take them off in the car at first so kids wouldn't throw and break them, how they would probably need to be replaced or fixed over and over again from breaking.

And in the end, I didn't need any of that information. We put them on on August 27th, and she hasn't taken them off (except for sleeping and bath time) since!

It's crazy how quickly she adjusted to wearing them, and how much she loves them. We didn't even know she had a vision issue until her eye started turning in, but I am shocked looking through her lenses that she could even see at all before them.


It's fun each day when she puts them on and just laughs because she is so excited with what she sees, it's like she forgets when she wakes up that she has them, and just goes about her business like nothing is wrong. Then I put her glasses on and she giggles with excitement and tells me she can see my leg, or my foot or that baby doll sitting on the floor, her smile gets huge as everything comes into focus.

I've heard a lot of parents talk about how sad they are that their young child has to wear glasses, and sure, it would be nice if she had perfect vision and we just didn't need to worry about it, but for me so far, I just have so much joy watching her explore the world with them on, looking closely at all of the things she has just never noticed before, I can hardly imagine her without them already. And it's only been 2 weeks.

I'm sure we'll have struggles in the future, maybe with patching, or deciding she doesn't like them, or want to wear them at some point. But for now, we're all loving her new look.
 




1 comment:

  1. She looks incredibly cute! I'm glad it's going well!

    ReplyDelete