My Blog List

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Madeline Clare

Maddie is 3 weeks old today, and I can finally post pictures again (yay!), so it's probably about time I write down exactly how her birthday went before I forget it all. If you don't want to read about how dilated I was, or how much I hate back labor, then maybe just skip down to the bottom to see the cute pictures. I promise I am not posting graphic details, but I do include what exactly was going on.

I'd been having a ton of contractions for the last week or so, and I just knew it was going to be soon. Sunday I had contractions 3-4 minutes apart for 6 hours, but they were not getting any stronger, so I knew I wasn't in labor, but that I very easily could put myself into labor if I wanted to.

Wednesday morning I had my last appointment and ultrasound, she was head down, estimated about 6lbs 5oz, and I was 3cm dilated. I've always gone into labor between 3-4cm shortly after a Dr's appointment. That night was Physical Therapy, and Thursday morning was supposed to be Elise's MRI, so I was taking it SUPER easy. I didn't do much at the pool, mostly just floated around and stretched.

When I came home, Anthony was cleaning the kitchen, so I decided that I would give Elise her bath and it wouldn't be too bad.

By the time I was done I was having much stronger than normal contractions and could feel my cervix cramping up. I knew they were doing something, but was still hopeful I could stop them at that point.

I laid down in bed for an hour, and they never let up at all. I knew at that point that there was no stopping them, it was just a matter of how long it would be. I called my mom and said I wasn't ready for her to come yet, but to get her things together because I was pretty sure we were having the baby that night.

Anthony was still cleaning up and had mentioned he was going to sort and fold laundry and take a shower. I was urging him to just hurry up and get ready and THEN he could do other things since I didn't know how fast this was going to go once I got up from bed. And reminded him in the past that he had to convince me it was real labor where as this time I knew.

I got up and things immediately got much more intense and I could feel she had turned posterior. I was having horrible back labor and had to get down on all fours with every contraction, which I am sure looked a little comical since they were about 1-2 minutes apart, I still was having excruciating hip pain so it was hard to get up and down and I was trying to put last minute stuff in my bag.

At 9:30 I called my mom and told her to come over. I called the after hours line for my Dr's office to let them know what was going on and the responder laughed at me and told me to just go to the ER and  my Dr would meet me there. That was the first time they didn't have my Dr call me back to check in and make sure, so it must have been pretty obvious that this baby was on her way!

My parents came and I practically ran out the door barely saying goodbye to them, I was in no mood to chat, and contractions were so close I just wanted to get there.

We got to the hospital at 11, and I must have looked pretty good because they made me walk to L&D from the ER, which is all the way on the opposite side of the hospital. I walked through contractions even though they were horrible because I just wanted to get there already.

They checked me and I was 6cm dilated. We had to wait in triage for a little bit because they were so full. We ended up getting the last room available.

My nurse was great and we got a good 10 minutes on the monitor and then she let me take it off. I HATE that thing and protest every time, but they always have made me wear it at least 20 minutes out of every hour.

I asked to be checked at 12 because I was feeling a lot more pressure, no urge to push, but my water must have really been budging. I was still a 6 which was a little discouraging.

I sat back on the ball and continued to have really strong contractions in my back and down my legs. My Dr came in at 12:45 and asked if I wanted to be checked again. By then I was 8cm and she said she was pretty sure if she broke my water we would have a baby soon. I debated a little bit because after Elise's birth I didn't want to deal with horrible back labor with no cushion from my water, but at the same time, I have always delivered a baby within about 30 minutes of my water breaking, and I thought maybe she was having a hard time getting into a good position because of the excess fluid. So I said she could break it.

That's when things got SUPER intense. I had about 4 contractions on the ball and suddenly felt a bit of an urge to push. With my last 2 as soon as I felt the urge they were out in about 5 pushes or less, so I wasn't wasting time letting the Dr know I even felt a slight urge.

I got back in bed at about 1 and the Dr came in while I just started lightly pushing to counteract the pain. I've never felt so in control during pushing before. I definitely credit my Dr who just really was talking me through things and encouraging. I'm glad she was right outside and I called her in early so she didn't just catch the baby like my last 2.

Madeline Clare was born at 1:09 with the cord wrapped around her neck. She was moving and breathing fine, but took just a little while to pink up, so they let me hold her right away for a few minutes, then took her to a warmer right next to me to try and get her a little pinker.

I had the tiniest little tear right along my scar, and just needed 2 stitches. The difference in how I feel is amazing to have that small of a tear.

They gave her back just a couple of minutes later and she latched on right away and nursed for about 15 minutes.

She is so perfect and I feel so blessed to have her. She is such a laid back baby. When she is not eating or sleeping (which she is awesome at) she just sort of looks around and stares at us. She even tries to pick up her head and look around which is just crazy for a 36 weeker. If I wasn't so 100% sure of my dates, or she wasn't COATED in vernix and pretty fuzzy, I would wonder if she were really that early since she doesn't act at all like my 36 or 37 weekers at all.

Yes, there are a million pictures of Elise with the baby, but she was SUPER excited and the boys have sort of been there, done that even though they really do love her :)

No comments:

Post a Comment