My Blog List

Monday, April 30, 2012

Why have I never used Oxiclean?

Seriously. Why has this not been in my laundry room?

I thought I had seen all stains with the boys, spaghetti obviously stained everything, but a good soak usually got that out.

Spit up was so far the worst, the sneakiest of the stains that showed up a few weeks after washing and looking clean. 

And then something new, banana. Elise eats a banana for breakfast everyday, and sometimes another one for a snack. She loves them. Until now I loved them too, easy for her to feed to herself, healthy, and easy to clean up, or so I thought.

Lately all of her clothes she wore while eating bananas are coming out of the washer with lovely brown stains like this
This dress has been washed 3 times, and soaked and scrubbed with various stain removers



And no amount of scrubbing, soaking, or stain remover was making them budge. If anything, I was probably setting the stain.

I was starting to think I had a pile of ruined clothes on my hands, so I went googling. It turned out I wasn't the only mom with this problem. There were tons of ideas on how to get the stain out, and tons of comments about how that idea didn't work, until I stumbled upon Oxiclean.

On one of the sites I read the normal "soak in hot water, use a set in stain remover, use a little bleach if you need " (none of these things touch the stain by the way), but then I read the comments. Someone posted the magical solution of boiling clothes in Oxiclean. I'd never used Oxiclean, but there were about 10 comments afterwards from people saying they used that method instead and it worked, so I headed out to the store to pick some up.

Oh. My. Gosh. Where has this been all of my life?

I boiled some water in my tea kettle, and put the item in a pot. Then poured boiling water over it and sprinkled some Oxiclean and waited. After a few minutes I couldn't take it anymore and I had to peak, so I rinsed it off and could not believe what I saw. No banana!

It almost scares me a little how well and fast it worked, but I am just going to ignore that and be happy with the clean clothes!

1 comment:

  1. I've never used Oxiclean before, but I'll have to keep this in mind! Glad you found something to get those banana stains out- I know they're pretty much impossible.

    ReplyDelete