My Blog List

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I just made mayonnaise

I just made homemade mayonnaise for the first time, and it was so cool, I just had to share with other people!

I've seen blogs and recipes on how to make it before, but I was honestly a little intimidated since it seemed that so many people had failures. Either I got REALLY lucky on my first try having no idea what I was doing, or it's not really as hard as people say it is.

We had some left over tilapia in the freezer from lent, and having absolutely no idea how to cook fish, I found this recipe on pinterest and decided to give it a try. 

I didn't realize until I was halfway through, that I didn't have any mayonnaise, or anything to actually hold the mixture together. Have you noticed I am really all over the place when it comes to cooking/baking? I really should start reading directions more carefully!

So I started googling until I found a recipe that I had most of the ingredients for, though I still had to really alter the amounts for what I had in my fridge

Since I had nothing to lose really, and no other options, I just had to sort of wing it and hope that it worked out with what I had!

And it was delicious.

So here is what I did.

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice

I mixed the eggs, mustard and salt and lemon juice in my food processor for about 30 seconds.

Then SLOWLY added about a teaspoon of oil and waited 30 seconds while it was still processing.

Then again, very very slowly, like the smallest stream you can manage (all while it's still processing) add the rest of the oil

And there you have it! It was that easy. I think some people add the oil too fast and that messes up the emulsion

It's creamy and delicious and you can add whatever sort of seasoning you want to make fancy mayonnaise. It keeps in the fridge for up to a week I am told.

No comments:

Post a Comment