My Blog List

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Homemade Goldfish

I've been talking about this recipe for a while, but am just now finally getting around to posting about it.

We eat A LOT of goldfish crackers around here. It's always been one of the kids favorite snacks, so I was pretty happy when I found this recipe to make your own, which I am sure is a bit healthier than the store bought stuff.

I was worried it was going to be complicated and time consuming, and it does take a bit of time to cut everything out, but really that's the most difficult part.

Ingredients
  • 8oz of sharp cheddar cheese shredded
  • 4 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons cold water

Pulse everything but the water in a food processor until well mixed. It will have the consistency of coarse sand. Then slowly add the water about 1 tablespoon at a time.

Remove the dough, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes.

When it's chilled, roll out your dough. I like to do this in halves, so I have more room to get it *really* thin. The thinner you get it, the crispier the cracker will be. I also like to roll it out between two layers of plastic wrap so it doesn't stick to the pin or the table. It makes clean up really easy too!

Once it's rolled out you can start cutting your pieces. The recipe I linked shows you how to make your own shapes from a pop can, but we just used a tiny Wilton heart cutter I picked up from Joann's.

Noah's
This is the fun, but time consuming part. I usually set it up with Noah on one side of me and Nathan on the other. I give them each a pan lined with parchment paper and I just cut as fast as I can alternating who I give the cracker to, and they arrange them on the pan for me. I'm sure it takes even longer without two little helpers :)

Nathan's
After their all cut out and arranged on the pan, bake them at 350 for about 15 minutes. Sometimes if they are a little bit thicker, they need 20 minutes to get nice and crispy, but I always check them out at 15 minutes in.

What Elise does when I am not paying enough attention to her
They should slide right off the parchment paper and into a bowl, jar, cup, wherever you are storing (eating) them. And are cool enough to eat within a couple of minutes.



Tasty, delicious cheese crackers


I can't say how long they last stored, because ours have always disappeared within a day or two. This recipe makes 4-5 large pans full of crackers. The recipe says 7 dozen, but I usually end up with way more than that.

3 comments:

  1. I may have to try this! Grace loves goldfish crackers, and these would be a lot cheaper at the rate we go through them. I like them because they work great when we're on the go- other crackers end up in crumbs all over the car lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY need to try these! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they taste better than the Goldfish brand too, especially when they are still a little warm out of the oven!

    ReplyDelete