My Blog List

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Is it spring yet?

I am going to try not to constantly be a negative person this winter, it not only probably annoys everyone who hears me (except for Nina), but it also contributes to me thinking about things that just put me in a bad mood.

But the first day with real snow seemed like a good time to express my true feelings on winter.

It's not that I hate winter, I think it's sort of pretty, I love snow on Christmas, I like sledding and ice skating and building snowmen. But really, I think all of those things can be taken care of in a couple of weeks time, even a month would be fine. It could snow and snow and snow the whole month of December, look great for Christmas and New Year and then warm up to 65 degrees on January 2nd.

Admit it, it looks pretty at first, it's new and exciting, but March and even April most years I am so so tired of scraping my car window every time I want to go anywhere. Putting all 3 kids into coats, and hats, and mittens, and boots. By the time we are all dressed, everyone is crabby and leaving the house seems like a bad idea.

I get tired of constantly having the bottom 4 inches of my pants get soaking wet anytime I walk outside for even a minute. And even better, if you walk on any sidewalks (I guess I won't have to worry about that this year) you get those lovely salt stains that dry on your pants to remind you until you wash them again just how annoying winter can be.

I hate not seeing the sun. I probably have Seasonal Affective Disorder. I'm not just saying it makes me crabby, I genuinely feel better on sunny days, or longer days. So the thought of the days still getting shorter, with the sun rarely making an appearance just makes me want to curl up in bed and do nothing for the next 4 months. 

See, even typing that is sort of depressing. I can look forward to 4 solid months of snow and cold with rarely a break.

I will not even get into how much I dislike being cold. I'm the sort of person who carries around a hoodie in the middle of summer just in case I get a chill. At least I am not pregnant this winter, that just sent me right over the edge. Being cold, and not being able to find clothes that fit properly to keep me warm? Worst. Thing. Ever. Oh and itchy dry stretched out skin. ugh. It's like nails on a chalkboard just remembering.

But like I said in the beginning, I'll try not to make this a daily complaint, but they will definitely be daily thoughts from now until April sometime.

Is it spring yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment