My Blog List

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

To Co-sleep or Not to Co-sleep

5 years ago I would have laughed if someone talked with me about co-sleeping with our kids. No way. We were getting a crib, they were sleeping in their own room, *maybe* we would let them sleep in our room in a cradle for the first few weeks, you know, until they were sleeping through the night. But then they were going straight to their room and crib.

Then I had kids.

I've talked about co-sleeping before and how we came to it. It was no later than a few hours into night 2 at home with Nathan when I brought him in bed, passed out and never looked back.

We didn't even attempt putting Noah in the crib until he was at least 6 months old.

And we just set it up for Elise a few weeks ago.

She's the easy baby.

She hasn't been sleeping great in the crib, it's a little difficult to get her down without waking her up, and she usually only lasts about 30 minutes before waking up again. But honestly, we haven't really been trying very hard.

She just sleeps so well with us.

By the time the boys were this age we were ready to start kicking them out. Nathan used to turn sideways in bed, put his feet against Anthony's back and stretch.
Good morning Nathan!


Noah tried to crawl off the bed at 2am, and ended up waking up more and more often with us right next to him.
Noah sleeping with me on the couch


But Elise? She snuggles in and sleeps completely still. She usually wakes up about once in the middle of the night to eat for a few minutes, then goes right back to sleep until 9 or 10am.

It's just too easy and comfortable.

Because of that, I'm having a really hard time putting any sort of effort at all into getting her into her crib. I actually like sleeping with her instead of being frustrated and trying to find a way to get her out.

I've never had this problem before, and now I'm sort of torn. Do I stick with what's working and follow my instincts like I always have? Will that make me one of those moms with a 4 year old who won't get out of their bed?

Or do I move her into her room so that she can be independent and learn to sleep on her own even though it makes sleep difficult for the both of us?
The snugglebug

No comments:

Post a Comment