My Blog List

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Playdough

I could not physically bring myself to bake something else when I still have 8 mini Oreo Pumpkin Cheesecakes in my fridge. The thought just made me gain 2lbs.

Plus, the boys have been very interested in all of the baking going on around here lately, so I thought I would make them some of their own dough. That way when I am busy baking, they can be busy "baking" too.

As usually I was missing an ingredient for your run of the mill homemade playdough. As much as I tried to will it to be in my cupboard, the truth was I just don't have any cream of tarter. After looking at a few recipes that didn't include it, I sort of came up with my own. I'm not even going to post the one I modified, because I had to change it so much to work it's not the same.

I made a BIG batch for the boys, but you could easily make half this amount for one child.

2 cups of flour (plus some extra as needed to get the right consistency)
1/2 cup of salt
1 1/3 cups of water
6 Tablespoons of cooking oil
3 Tablespoons of Pumpkin Pie spice
Red and Yellow food coloring

Mix together the flour and salt
Add water and oil and mix until smooth

Here is where you get to play with the measurements a little bit until it's just right. Keep adding about a tablespoon of flour until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl and is not sticky to the touch.

Now add your spices and mix again.

Then add your food coloring until you get the desired color. The ratio of red to yellow is 1:2. I ran out of yellow, so mine isn't quite as dark as I want it to be, but it still has a light pumpkin color to it.

You might need to add a *tiny* bit more flour if the food coloring made your dough sticky again.

Kneed together on the counter top a few times to make sure it's nice and smooth and doesn't stick to your hands.

And your done!

Get out some pumpkin cookie cutters, and have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment