My Blog List

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Crescent Rolls

I am a terrible blogger. When I get busy, I don't blog. Then I make promises about blogging and forget to keep them. Oops!

Anyway, here is what I made at the end of last week. I can't say they were my favorite pumpkin recipe so far, but I did eat probably 60% of the batch (other 40% consumed by Nathan and Noah). I think it was more the crescent rolls that I didn't like. Something lighter and fluffier would have definitely been better.

I'm not sure if it was baker error, or just not a great recipe. I am typically pretty good at baking, so I am going to blame the recipe on this one.

I started with this recipe for crescent rolls, it was a little too dense for my liking in a crescent roll, but here it is none the less.

  • 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
  • 3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened

Directions

  1. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
  2. Stir in sugar, salt, eggs, shortening, and 2 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in remaining flour until smooth. Scrape dough from side of bowl. Knead dough, then cover it and let rise in a warm place until double (about 1-1/2 hours).
  3. Punch down dough. Divide in half. Roll each half into a 12-inch circle. Spread with butter. Cut into 10 to 15 wedge. Roll up the wedges starting with the wide end. Place rolls with point under on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until double (about 1 hour).
  4. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 12-15 minute or until golden brown. Brush tops with butter when they come out.

And then I used this recipe for the pumpkin pie filling.
  
Start with 2 tubes of refrigerated crescent rolls.  Roll each crescent roll out and cut lengthwise in 2.  This recipe will make 32 mini croissant.  Each croissant will get a generous tablespoon of this luscious pumpkin pie filling:

1/2 block of cream cheese
1 cup of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
3 T sugar

Beat together until fluffy and creamy.

Mix together 4 T sugar and 1 T pumpkin pie spice and roll each pumpkin pie croissant in it.


Bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes. 
 
And now that I am putting this all together, I see the recipe was for pumpkin pie CROISSANTS, not CRESCENT ROLLS. But the recipe calls for canned crescent rolls...hmmmm.

Here is my advice, buy the canned stuff, it's lighter and will give you something more like a croissant than a crescent roll.

And after all of that...I didn't even take pictures.

More pumpkin fun coming soon! This post got long, but I'll write about our hayride and trick or treating soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment