My Blog List

Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Pumpkin A Day

Well, I'm not really sure it will keep the dr away, but certainly can't be that bad for you!

I have SO many pumpkin recipes, I finally just made a pumpkin board on Pinterest, and realized that I need to utilize this short window of time where people will tolerate my putting pumpkin in everything while I can.

Here is the challenge, I am going to attempt to cook/make something with pumpkin every day for the next month, and post about it here.

First up, an easy one.

I adore pumpkin spice latte, it's probably one of the things that got this obsession going the most (aside from good old pumpkin pie). Problem, Starbucks is not in my budget. But that doesn't mean that I can't find a way to make something as good, or even better at home.

So I'm making some Pumpkin Spice syrup to go in my travel mug of coffee to take to ballet this morning. If I don't make it, the temptation of walking past Cool Beans might just be too much or me to handle.

Here we go, pumpkin spice syrup, inspired by this recipe that I found on pinterest.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of water
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons pumpkin purée (the other recipe called for 3, but I love pumpkin)

Heat the water and the sugar over medium heat until all of the sugar is disolved.

While this was heating, I measured out my other ingredients into 2 prep cups, 1 for spices, and one for the pumpkin. If you don't have prep cups, get some. They will change the way you cook.

Dump the pumpkin and the spices into the syrup mixture and wisk until heated thoroughly, or about 5-6 minutes.

This is where the other recipe said to strain through a cheesecloth....which I didn't have on hand, and didn't realize I would need until I got to this point in the recipe.

PSA *Always read all directions before starting a recipe*

Since I was cheeseclothless, I just poured everything straight into a mason jar. If you want a super smooth syrup, use the cheesecloth. It's blended enough that it doesn't bother me, but you will have tiny bits of pumpkin puree settling in the bottom of your mug if you don't strain it.

Pour a little into your coffee/latte and enjoy!

If you are feeling really fancy put some whipped cream and sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on top too!




4 comments:

  1. ha- I was going to suggest that you need a pumpkin board! Have fun with your yummy challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really has gotten sort of ridiculous with all of the pumpkin recipes and ideas I've collected!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you using the prep cups Ebony gave your at your bridal shower??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I am! I don't think I could go back to cooking without them. It's so nice to meausre out my spices ahead of time and then just dump the whole thing in at once.

    ReplyDelete