My Blog List

Monday, October 17, 2011

Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal

I am SO excited to try this one, it's in the oven as I type this, so the review will come at the end. I've been meaning to for a while, but I may or may not have mentioned before, that when my kids wake up they want to eat...5 minutes ago.

In the time it takes me to toast and spread some cream cheese on a bagel Noah is usually already sobbing at his seat how hungry he is. At the mention of making other breakfast meals, Nathan usually throws himself on the floor and tells me through his tears that "it's so hard to wait!".

Today is grocery shopping day, I woke up and we had exactly 1 bagel. So I knew that even if I made something else for myself, there were going to be tears over having to wait, share the bagel, or one of them getting the bagel and the other something else. So here we are!

I actually had to give them a few crackers to hold them over, and they are still popping their heads into the kitchen ever few minutes to ask if it's ready yet because they are SO hungry.

I used this recipe, and followed the directions exactly. The only thing I would change, is to soften the butter before adding it to the mix. I was pretty sure I would want it softened, but since it didn't specify, I just threw it in...and had a lump of butter moving around in the oatmeal. Taking it out and cutting it up worked too, but softening ahead of time would be perfect.


Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal

  • 3 cups quick cooking oats
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¾ cup canned pumpkin
  • ¼ cup brown sugar (for the top)
In a large bowl mix together all ingredients except the ¼ cup brown sugar for the top.
Spread into a greased 9×13 pan.
Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup brown sugar on top.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.


I used a square baking dish instead of my 9x13...because it's prettier. I ended up baking it for between 25 and 30 minutes since it was a little bit thicker in the square dish.

And they loved it! It is delicious, and will definitely be making it again. I think next time I will mix it the night before, so I can just pop it in the oven when we wake up in the morning and the horrible crying wait will be reduced.

No comments:

Post a Comment