My Blog List

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Am I really blogging about sleep again?

Yep.

My kids are good sleepers, I would even venture to say great sleepers. At 3 and 4 they go to bed at 8, wake up at 7 and take a 1.5-2 hour nap in the afternoon. From what I have heard from some other parents, that's pretty darn good.

So it's not that I'm complaining, things could be worse, SO much worse, but this new habit my preschoolers have developed is making me a cranky mom.

Our bedtime routine goes something like this:

7:30 start cleaning up whatever we were doing/playing with. Read a book if the cleaning up doesn't take 5 million years.

7:45 Put on pajamas, brush teeth, get a drink of water, get in bed

7:55 hugs, kisses, tucked in

8 lights out

8:00:01 Noah opens the door and runs back to his bed laughing

8:00:30 we close the door and tuck him in again

Repeat this 5-6 times.

8:03 Nathan opens the door and says "mom, I like you"

I like you too Nathan, good night

8:04 Noah remembered the getting out of bed game again.

Repeat 5 more times

8:06 Nathan opens the door and says "mom, I love you"

Awesome buddy, but please, it's time for bed.

8:08 door opens again, but this time not all of the way, just a crack. It slowly opens if you ignore it, an inch every few seconds. If you acknowledge said door, Noah runs to bed and both boys deny they had anything to do with it.

8:09 I stand outside the door and listen to Nathan telling Noah to go open the door. I want to beat my head against the wall. Instead, I open the door, and tuck them in again. I've lost track at this point how many times it's been, 20? 78? 300? It's all just running together.

8:10 I've figured out that while Nathan is the one organizing all of this, he is too chicken to get out of his bed anymore. Noah, is in it for the long haul, and even without Nathan's directing would continue to get up over and over and over again. So I make an executive decision to put Noah in a time out in the dining room with me.

8:10:30 Noah is already crying he wants to go to bed

8:11 Noah sticks his feet through the back of the chair, gets them stuck and has a complete emotional breakdown.

8:12 I get his feet free and tuck him in bed again.

If I'm lucky, that's where it ends and I don't hear from them again until morning (or 5am if there happens to be muffins beckoning Noah out of his bed to eat them), or we could repeat the whole process 1-3 more times before calling it a night.

Like I said, things could be worse, but these small children are learning how to push my buttons...and I am not amused.

No comments:

Post a Comment