My Blog List

Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Love Story: Friends

When Anthony came home from school that summer we were at a party together. We were both just chatting a bit about school since we were the 2 oldest in our group of mutual friends, and the only 2 who had been away to college yet. I mentioned I would be going to the Steubenville again because they had a few extra spaces at the last minute. He told me that he would really like to go too. Um, really? The guy who scared me last year with how much he seemed to be hating what was going on? But he got one of the extra spots and went. And that weekend is one of those moments I will never forget. I got to see a real life conversion up close. Not that Anthony was a bad person, or that he wasn't Catholic or something extreme like that, but I got to witness someone who a year before was completely closed down to the entire experience praying and singing and so completely open to the Holy Spirit working in him that it quite literally brought tears to my eyes. THAT was the moment I knew we were going to be best friends. And we have been ever since!

We spent the rest of the summer together, a group of 6 of us, hanging out every single day. For hours. I don't think any of us slept that summer since we were all working full time too. But it was one of the best summers of my life.

We went to mass together, watched movies, prayed rosaries, had parties. We were all there for each other no matter what the need was. Any one of us was willing to drop everything for someone else if we needed to. It was amazing, and Anthony and I became better and better friends.

I was still dating someone else at this time (also in our close group), but my mom would often tell me I should date Anthony because he just seemed so perfect for me. I just laughed, we were just friends. I had no intention of dating him.

At the end of the summer my boyfriend broke up with me, Anthony was the one who listened to me talk through it on the phone for hours and hours that night.

I went back to school a week before he did, and he drove up for the day to check up on me and hang out one last time before he flew out to NYC to go back to school.

We started talking on the phone or on AIM every single day. We joked at first that it was just because we missed home and our friends so much and it would probably stop once we got back into the swing of things, but no more than a day went by for the rest of our college years without us talking to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment