My Blog List

Friday, September 23, 2011

A Love Story: Engaged

Not very long into our dating relationship I knew I was going to marry Anthony, I mean, before we were even dating I knew that I probably could marry him, but it didn't take too much longer for me to know. We were however only 19 year old, and only saw each other 4 months a year.

The second summer we were dating, when we were 21, Anthony asked if I wanted to go out to dinner and for a walk at my favorite park. We were poor college students, so going out to eat was a pretty rare and exciting thing for us. We went to our favorite Mexican restaurant (we have a thing for salsa, our first date was to Chi Chi's which sadly no longer exists due to a contaminated meat issue). Having no idea what was going on, I offered to pay for my half, remember, we were poor college students, but Anthony wouldn't let me.

We then went to my favorite park, part of which was some trails that went up into big rock formations and ledges. That sounded like a fun hike, so off we went! Anthony, who had never been there, had no idea what to expect. Later he told me he was nervous and uncomfortable the whole time looking for a place he could propose, but there were people everywhere. I once again was clueless, either Anthony had suddenly gotten really good at hiding his feelings from me, or I was so preoccupied with climbing ledges that I didn't even notice.

When we finished our hike I really wanted to take him to the lake, since he loves fishing. He said he would rather just sit and talk for a while. This was my first clue something was up, Anthony loves fishing. We sat and chatted for a while, I don't even remember what about. And then he told me he had a present for me. If you know Anthony, you know he is not really into presents. Sure for birthday's and Christmas (most of the time), but other than that the whole idea of a present other than food just boggles his mind. So now I KNEW something was going on.

He told me how much he loved me, pulled a box out of his pocket, got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I said yes, and then my legs started shaking so hard I couldn't stand up. I was just so excited!

And I just have to share 2 stories of telling our families, because they still make me laugh.

First, we wanted to stop by my parents house and tell them, the only problem was my parents were in the middle of redecorating their house and there were drop clothes and paint and moved boxes everywhere. They were NOT up for company. I knew they wouldn't want us to just show up with the house like this, but I also knew that there was no way my mom was going to agree to us coming over to hang out with the house in disarray either. I finally convinced her after much begging to let us stop by and watch a movie on the deck. I really couldn't think of anything else. And she was mad. Of course all of the feelings of annoyance went away as soon as we showed up and I could tell her.

Then I called my sister who was not home, and she pretty much told me I was lying, and then made sure she was my maid of honor. Yep, that's Nina :)

Second story, we drove over to Anthony's parents house to tell them. It was 4th of July weekend and out in the country everyone is setting off fireworks. As we walked in the dark to the front of the house we suddenly heard someone say "hi". It was his sister Anna standing on top of their van in the dark so she could see the fireworks better. It still makes me laugh to think about.

We went inside and everyone was watching a movie, Mike was the only one who Anthony had told he bought a ring, so he knew it was happening. Anthony's sister Marian figured out pretty fast too. We were waiting for the movie to be over to talk with everyone, but Mike and Marian could not stop turning around to look at us. Anthony must have told them to cut it out 100 times before the last 10 minutes of the movie was over and we could share with everyone.

A toast! Someone said something funny and I can't remember anymore what it was. I can't believe how tiny I was! I still have that shirt somewhere and I refuse to believe it ever actually fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment