My Blog List

Monday, August 1, 2011

Why do your kids wear knit pants?

I've had this question asked a lot in the last 2 years we've been using wool. And I have to admit, the first time I saw pictures of kids wearing "longies" I thought they were just plain weird. So I can only imagine the thoughts people have about my kids and their "knit pants".
The boys wearing their pants



As I've mentioned in other posts, we use cloth diapers. Some diapers have waterproof covers built right in, others are made of absorbent fabric and need a separate cover.

Wool makes a great diaper cover because it is:
1. Absorbent, wool can hold up to 35% of it's own weight which makes it great for no leaks during naps and night time
2. Antimicrobial, it stays much cleaner than other fibers or synthetic materials, and doesn't need to be washed as often. This also keeps the fabric from smelling like other materials would.
3. Temperature regulating, wool keeps you warm when it's cold, and cool when it's hot. Wool and cotton diapers breathe better than a disposable diaper keeping a baby comfortable even in the hottest weather.
Elise in a wool skirt, not just for winter!

4. Water resistant, wool (especially when washed with lanolin) repels water, making it perfect for wearing over a diaper. You are not going to feel wetness on the outside unless it get very wet. Helping keep you and your baby dry.
5. Wool has a bad reputation for being itchy, but it's really not. In fact one of the softest things I have ever felt was some single plied 100% wool. Perfect for babies and sensitive skin.
6. It's cute. Yes, I thought it was a little weird at first, but now I've been able to create some pretty cute outfits for my kids that double as a diaper cover! No extra step of a cover and then pants.
Noah showing off his favorite pants knit by a friend


So that's why my kids wear knit pants, and because the love them. Noah is working on potty training right now, but still asks to wear his favorite pairs every once in a while. Nathan even asked me to knit him a pair since it's been a while. Maybe he will get some comfy pajama pants this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment