My Blog List

Monday, August 15, 2011

Brothers

I tell Anthony all of the time that Nathan was born to be a big brother. And being only 13 months older than Noah (only 5 months old when I was pregnant with Noah) it's sort of true. He doesn't remember a time he didn't have a little brother, in his world it's all he's known.


When Noah was a baby, and Nathan was just over a year old he used to sit next to his bouncer and gently bounce him so he didn't cry while I made dinner or did the dishes.


He reminds him to go to the bathroom throughout the day and "stay dry all day so he can go for a ride on the train!" while he is potty training.

Now with Elise he will sit and sing to her if she is upset, and hold her hand while riding next to her in the car.


He's a big brother, and he does the best he can at his "job".

Today I overheard this conversation between Nathan and Noah. To set the stage, Noah had just thrown a huge fit over wanting ice in his water (daddy used the last of the ice to ice his thumb last night, and the ice cube trays have not yet been refilled). After trying to explain (and failing) several times that there was no ice, Noah threw himself onto the ground and cried...that he wanted ice. After a few minutes he got up and walked into the living room.

Nathan: Noah, you have to listen to mommy...and daddy. You just have to listen to them.

Noah stares blankly at Nathan still upset over the lack of ice in his cup

Nathan: When mommy tells you something you have to do it right away and listen to her, do you understand?

Noah: I understand.

Nathan: Now go and tell mommy that you are sorry and give her a kiss.

Noah runs into the kitchen: I'm sorry (and then kisses me)

And they are both back to playing again.


I'm glad he has a big brother who is looking out for him and wants to help him make the right decisions. I know that this bond they have as siblings is going to be a blessing to them for the rest of their lives.

I just wish Nathan would take his own advice sometimes :)
My stubborn little guy


No comments:

Post a Comment