My Blog List

Monday, August 8, 2011

15. Run a 5k

So If you've been reading, you know I've been running for a while now. And Saturday I finally accomplished my goal of running a 5k! Boy did I pick a race to run. Huge hill, hot sun, grass and roots. It was HARD, definitely the hardest run I have had so far. But I did it!

The first mile wasn't bad at all, I passed some people (including Anthony's best friend Sean who was hoping to beat me), I was feeling great, it didn't feel too hot yet, I even ran the first mile in the same time I usually run my miles on a trail even though this was mostly grass.

Then came mile number 2. ugh. That is all I have to say about that. Almost entirely in the sun, mostly uphill, including a HUGE hill that just about killed me, but I kept going (mostly because I knew people were watching me and I couldn't stand stopping with people watching!)

By the time I got halfway through mile 3 I was about done. I had to take a short break to walk because I was getting dizzy, and strangely enough had to go to the bathroom even though I seemed to have already sweat my body weight. I checked to make sure Sean wasn't too nearby (he wasn't) and walked for a couple of minutes. I took another short walking break right before the final stretch and then finished with a time of 35:50, about a minute off what I jogged the course a few days before when it wasn't so darn hot.

So not my best time for sure, but considering the heat, and that I took a couple of walking breaks near the end, not too bad either. And I won 1st place for my age group!

Someone has a picture of Anthony and I with our first place medals, did I mention he decided to run literally 5 minutes before the race started and quickly registered, found some shorts and then still got 1st place for his age division? But yeah, I forget I have a camera 99.9% of the time, so I don't have a copy of that picture yet.

All of the Mion's who ran the race this year (with Noah and Elise)

2 comments: