My Blog List

Thursday, July 14, 2011

22. Dance

When I first put this on my list I envisioned a night out downtown with my BIL and SIL, or maybe some sort of adult dance class, perhaps picking up ballroom again for a date night with Anthony.

Then I remembered we have 3 small children.

Crazy how that slips my mind sometimes when I get these ideas in my head. After 4 years you would think I'd have it down by now!

You see, sometimes I want to be the super mommy who stays at home, does crafts, plays on the floor, visits the library several times a week and does absolutely nothing without thinking of the kids first. And others the mom who isn't letting the fact that she had kids change who she is by continuing to have an identity outside of "mommy" and keep up social interactions with other adults.

The reality is I'm sort of in between. Having kids DID change me. A lot. Those of you who are parents know what I mean. One day you are 9 months pregnant staying up late watching movies, sleeping in on Saturday's until 11. Going out to movies with friends at the drop of a hat. And the next day your world sort of shifts. Not in a bad way, just a very very different way that is hard to explain unless you've been through it. There is no taking a break when you feel tired, or putting everything off until later so you can run off and do something fun with friends. Every single thing you do now has an added element you have to think about, your child(ren).

For example, taking a shower

Before kids: take a shower

After kids:
Option 1: put on a movie and pray they don't notice you are gone.

Option 1: Wait until naptime, make sure all 3 kids are REALLY asleep. Not the sort of sleep where they are going to wake up 5 minutes after you get in the shower and empty the contents of the fridge, or run outside, or write with marker all over your walls, or decide to join you in the shower only to realize they hate showers and run naked and wet into your living room. They have to be out. Then you have to be fast, because even though they are really asleep, they have a sort of radar for when you are preoccupied doing something else that immediately wakes them up.

Or Option 2: Wait until there is another adult in the house and schedule your shower at weird times of the day.

And that's just taking a shower.

But back to the real point of this post. I haven't been to a club with other adults, as much as a want to. The logistics are almost enough for me to say it's just not worth it. I'll keep trying though and maybe by the end of the summer I'll have some real kid free social interaction. At least for an hour or 2.

So I settled for second best (and really almost more fun). A dance party with Noah. I've posted before about our dance parties. They are the best! We find some good tunes, crank up the music and just go crazy. The best part is Noah thinks I am pretty awesome. I mean, I AM awesome. But it's fun when someone actually acknowledges it as well as a 2 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment