My Blog List

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Homemade Granola

I have been on a granola kick lately, as in breakfast every morning, and usually another bowl as a snack later on in the day. But granola, especially good granola, is kind of pricey. So I decided to try making my own.

I don't like a lot of nuts, and different nuts and seeds pretty soon add up to some expensive homemade granola. So here is my own recipe I came up with to keep it under budget, and still have the elements of granola that I love! It's easy to take out or add in whatever you like with similar results.

  • 3 cups of rolled oats (NOT quick oats)
  • 1 cup of slivered almonds, I just happened to find these at the grocery store about 60% cheaper than plain slivered almonds
  • Crasins, I like the pomegranate flavored kind
  • 1/4c of brown sugar
  • 1/4c of oil
  • 1/4c maple syrup
  • 1/4t salt
  • 2t vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 250
Mix the oats, almonds and brown sugar in a large bowl
mix all other ingredients (except crasins) in a smaller bowl
pour over the oat mixture and ix well
Spread mixture in two pans (all recipes I read said a cookie sheet, but I liked my cake pans for easier stirring)
Place in oven and stir every 15 minutes until no longer sticky (it will seem just a *little* sticky while it's still hot) For me, this took about 2 hours, I'm sure thinner layers would take less time
Remove from oven, stir in crasins and store in an air tight container until ready to eat (some of mine didn't even make it to the container before entering my stomach)

I will never buy granola again! This was so easy, and so much better tasting than the stuff at the store. I can't wait to try some new combinations!

No comments:

Post a Comment