My Blog List

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"Revive my heart, renew my soul..."

I've been thinking the last few days about my prayer life. I think that attending the Fest this weekend kinda of gave me a bit of a boost that I hadn't even known I needed. It was the first time in a long while that I felt completely joyful to the point of forgetting any kind of burden or responsibility, and I liked it a lot!

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I am not a happy person, I really am. I love my husband and my son and I experience joy and God's love for us as a family every day through them. I guess what I have been forgetting about lately is a more personal kind of joy, or prayer.

When I was at Franciscan I was really good at finding ways to make my prayer life and my life one and the same. Being part of a household and attending daily mass, not to mention being surrounded constantly by those also incorporating their faith into every day life made it easy.

Since I have left school, starting working, gotten married and had a baby it's not always so easy for me. It's not a bad thing that it's not right in front of me, in fact, I like the challenge of making it my own, but I still miss the community that I had at Franciscan.

During the Fest I talked to a great priest who recently graduated from the seminary and is now at his first assignment. It was kind of nice to hear him say it wasn't always easy for him either, and that even as a priest he had to make a conscious effort to do more than just go through the motions. His suggestions were to make it part of my daily routine again, not move on to the next thing until I have included some time for prayer. Even if it's going back to bed at 3am after putting Nathan back to sleep. I just need to find that time that is mine and God's and stick to it daily.

It makes a lot of sense in my head, I am definitely a creature of habit. I think tat is one of the reasons being a teacher works out so well for me. I like the daily schedule of what gets done when. So this is my new challenge for myself, find a way to have that time every day, and continue to search for ways to find joy for myself and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment