My Blog List

Monday, August 4, 2008

Cloth diapers!

Once I started thinking about what it is going to mean to have two babies in the house, I did something that I swore I would never do in a million years... I started to research using cloth diapers.

Now when I was younger my mom used cloth diapers on my twin brothers, I still have bad memories of folding the diaper just right and then pinning the sides before sliding on a pair of plastic pants. Not really fun or easy to do. But I recently found out that cloth diapers now are so much different! There is a huge emphasis on style and convenience, and no one actually uses pins anymore even if they do choose the old school prefold style diapers.

It was almost overwhelming when I first starting looking. There are literally hundreds of different brands and styles and kinds of diapers out there. I was totally lost and had no idea where I wanted to start. Plus, in the long run they save you tons of money, but I didn't want to spend a lot on trying out diapers that I wouldn't like or want to use in the end. Thanks to the cloth diapering group on facebook I found a website with a program where you can try out 6 different kinds of cloth diapers for 3 weeks and then send them back for a full refund minus a $10 program fee! It was such a great way to try out these diapers first hand and see what I really liked. For anyone who is interested here is what I thought of the different kinds I tried.

BumGenious pocket one size diaper

So a pocket diaper is kind of like a disposable diaper in fit and in how you put it on the baby with the only difference being that there is a pocket inside that you stuff with inserts to absorb any waste. What's great out this is that they dry fast and that you can put as much or as little inside the diaper depending on how heavy of a wetter your baby is. We LOVED this diaper and ended up choosing this for our babies. I've been using them full time for almost a week now and it's just so easy and never leaks!

Thirsties all in on pocket diaper

This is a lot like the BG only it has some padding built in so you can choose not to stuff it if you don't want, though it can also be stuffed with more if you need it. I really loved the fit of this diaper, it only leaked once but I had two diapers leak that night so maybe I was just doing something wrong. It is not one size so you have to buy a whole new set every time your baby goes up a size. I might have considered getting these if I had the money to buy each new size since they fit so well.

Fuzzi Buns pocket diaper

This was another pocket, but not one sized like the BG. It worked OK, it uses snaps in the front to close it instead of Velcro and I found it frustrating to get onto my wiggly baby who didn't even want to stay still for the Velcro! Also since it's not one sized I wouldn't want to keep buying more. I have heard these diapers work better for newborns though since they are not as bulky. I have a feeling we will just use disposables for the new baby until he reaches 10 pounds or so and they fit a little better.

Thirsties Fab Fitted

This diaper was very absorbent and I never had a leak, however it used a diaper cover since the outside was not waterproof and I did not like the cover in my trial pack so I didn't use it as much. I think with a nicely fitted cover this would be a great diaper, especially for smaller babies.

Chinese Prefolds


These are your typical old school cloth diapers. I hated them at first and never wanted to use them, however the more I practiced with them they were not so bad. Like I said before no one really uses pins anymore, so there was this thing called a snappi that just hooks into the diaper and holds it in place. They were kind of bulky but I blame my wrong sized cover for being too big. I might even consider using these with the new baby for a while because they are cheap and after some practice not all that hard to use.

Overall I was very impressed with how advanced cloth diapering has become! Anthony was a little skeptical at first, but after thinking about how much money we will be saving and then actually trying the diapers for a little bit even he is starting to agree that they are pretty easy to use.

Well Nathan just woke up from his nap (way too short!) so the updating will have to continue later.

No comments:

Post a Comment